Mandy Marshburn has been Eastern Carolina Women’s Center’s certified nurse-midwife since 2010. The support and services a midwife offers are reasons to include one in your pregnancy and birth plan.
Midwives have been a part of childbirth since the American colonies. Their role has evolved to today’s status as a knowledgeable partner with your physician and an advocate for your reproductive health. A midwife will:
- Provide family planning and preconception care
- Do prenatal exams
- Monitor your physical and psychological health
- Help develop your birth plan
- Educate you regarding pregnancy, childbirth and newborn care
- Give emotional and practical support during labor
- Make referrals to doctors when needed
Women who choose to include a midwife in their pregnancy and delivery may want a natural childbirth with as little medical intervention as possible. Midwives also provide very helpful emotional, practical and social support during the pregnancy planning and birthing processes.
Mandy is a valued and important part of the Eastern Carolina Women’s Center care team. She works closely with our obstetricians to help develop the best birth plan that works for each individual patient. Please do not hesitate to schedule an appointment with Mandy to discuss any topics related to your pregnancy.